The best-known early group of Buckners inhabited Berkshire, England in the vicinity of Oxford in the 13th, 14, 16th, and 17th centuries (specifically Botley and Cumnor which lie just across the Thames from the city of Oxford). Curiously, 15th century records are so far lacking. The primary sources dealing with them as usual consist of wills and certain parish records, but, due to their connections with the University, certain other sources are available.
Transcriptions of a few of the more interesting items:
Berkshire sources have been fairly well tapped by Buckner researchers, but there are apparently a number of Oxfordshire sources which have been neglected. A history of Oxfordshire in passing mentions a Thomas Buckner who was a tenant of Bolshipton Manor in St. Clements (just to the east of Medieval Oxford) in 1596. This is certainly either Thomas Buckner the mercer or a close relative of his, as he was residing at Bolshipton in 1589.
Going back a bit earlier to March of 1540, we find among the papers of Henry VIII a grant of numerous farms (messuages) to Sir John Williams, master or keeper of the Jewels. Among those in Berks., recently confiscated from the monastery of Abingdon during Henry's fervent anti-monastic campaign, was one in Botley called Colys in the tenure of Wm. Bucknour. See Great Britain, Public Record Office, _Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, of the Reign of Henry VIII_, Kraus Reprint: Vaduz, 1965. v. ? p. 169.